If there’s one trend we’ve seen really take off over the last few years, it’s creating outdoor living spaces. An outdoor living space essentially brings the indoors outdoors, basically expanding the usable square footage of your home.
And if you think this trend isn’t realistic in Arizona (hello, blazing hot summers!), think again. Plenty of Arizonans are jumping on the outdoor living space bandwagon, creating comfortable, functional outdoor spaces that allow them to enjoy their backyards year round.
When it comes to creating such a space, good design is key. Here are 4 must-haves when designing an outdoor living space for your home.
There’s nothing like enjoying a summer night outside. The sun is down, the temperature is bearable, and you get a little fresh air to end your day. But if you’re going to spend time in your outdoor living space after dark, or if your patio is very shaded, then good lighting is a necessity. Some great options include:
- Overhead can lights, for a streamlined, polished look
- An outdoor ceiling fan with a light, for double the functionality
- An overhead light fixture, to add some style to your space
- String lights, for an affordable option that adds some serious ambience
No matter what you choose, you’ll soon realize that good lighting can make all the difference in your outdoor space.
If you’re trying to bring the indoors outdoors, then think about this: you’d never design a room inside your house without plenty of seating. Give your family (and your guests) plenty of places to sit back, relax, and enjoy the outdoors in serious comfort. Popular seating options include:
- An outdoor sofa and/or chairs (weather-resistant materials are a must)
- Built-in or freestanding benches
- Hanging chairs or swings hung from the porch ceiling
- Lounge chairs or pool chairs
- Outdoor bean bags
Mix and match these seating options to create a space that is uniquely yours and totally functional for your needs.
If you’re not comfortable in your outdoor living space, you aren’t going to spend much time there. Being able to control the temperature is a huge part of helping people feel comfortable outdoors. And while you might think that an outdoor living space in Arizona only has to focus on cooling, remember that those winter nights in the desert can get pretty chilly, too! Add these elements to your space to create a more enjoyable outdoor experience:
- A ceiling fan (or multiple, if your space is large enough)
- A misting system
- Overhead heaters
- Gas powered stand heaters
- A fireplace or fire pit
It might also be a good idea to get a few outdoor blankets for your space. Use them for picnics in the warmer months and for keeping warm when the temperatures drop.
You might envision your outdoor space as a place to simply sit around and talk, but it can be so much more than that. Get creative and take your space to the next level by adding in some entertainment options like:
- A game table
- A TV
- Games like ping pong, shuffleboard, basketball, or a putting green
- Speakers to play your favorite music
With these 4 must-have elements, you can create an outdoor living space that will be perfect to enjoy all year long.