When it comes to adding water to your landscape design, a pool isn’t your only option. In fact, many people prefer to bring water into their backyards in more natural ways, with aquascapes that use water to create a beautiful, soothing environment.
Whether you have a large backyard or a cozy small patio, there are various aquascape options that you can use to elevate the beauty and functionality of your landscape. Here are some of the best aquascape features to try for yourself.
- Classic garden ponds. This is a timeless and versatile aquascape option that can fit into any landscape design. Ponds can be designed to be natural-looking, with gentle curves and rock accents, or they can be more modern, with geometric shapes and clean lines. Either way, a pond can become a striking focal point in your outdoor space.
- Waterfalls. A waterfall is a fantastic way to add beautiful sights and sounds into your yard. Add a waterfall to your pond, or include it as a standalone feature. You can even try a pondless waterfall (where the water disappears into an underground reservoir) if you are concerned about standing water in your yard. Pondless waterfalls are not only visually stunning, but they are also safe and low maintenance.
- Reflecting pools. Sophisticated and contemporary, reflecting pools feature still water that creates a mirror-like surface, reflecting the surrounding landscape and the sky above. These pools are perfect for anyone trying to create a serene or contemplative space in their yard, and they fit well into many different design styles.
- Koi ponds. If you have a little space to spare, a koi pond is a unique aquascape option that feels luxurious and special. These ponds often feature rocks and greenery to create a lush landscape, and they usually employ water filtration systems to keep the water clean. This aquascape option will require a little more work to design and maintain, but the payoff is worth it.
- Water gardens. Short on space? A water garden could be the perfect solution. You can combine still water, flowers, and other aquatic plants into a container that fits into your space, creating a mini oasis even in a small yard.
- Bubbling fountains. Another great option for small spaces, bubbling fountains come in many different sizes and styles, and are especially good for creating a soothing, “bubbling” water sound. Use a bubbling fountain to bring the relaxing sound of water onto your patio or into your garden.
Ultimately, you will have to determine an aquascape option that works for your space and budget. But with so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find a great way to bring the beauty of water into your yard.